Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Lecture tours or visits to congresses are not funded.
Please note: This programme funds exchanges between scientists and researchers from Germany and its partner countries. Funding is available when German researchers also apply for research visits to the partner countries.
Duration of the funding
- At least 14 days (for stays from applicants from EU countries as well as from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Ukraine: at least 7 days) up to a maximum of three months. Please indicate in your application form how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process, taking into account your study plan.
- The grant is non-renewable.
- Monthly payments of:
2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers
2,150 euros for professors
- Unless otherwise regulated by bilateral agreements, the costs of the outward and return journey are borne by the respective sending country.
- In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
The most important selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements and, if applicable, publications, which must be documented in the curriculum vitae and a list of publications
- A convincing and well-planned research project
What requirements must be met?
- You must work at a university or research institution in your home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with the cooperation partner in Germany. A workplace must be provided.
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 10 pages). Also read our Important information for scholarship applicants / section B, point 2.
- Time plan for your planned research visit (please also name the host institute(s) and academic hosts).
- Written confirmation from your host about the academic cooperation; this confirmation must refer to your proposal and guarantee that the host institute in Germany will provide you with a workplace.
November 15th for stays that start between June and November of the following year;
May 2nd for scholarships that start between December of the same year and May of the following year
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal on time.
- (If documents are to be submitted by post, please send them as soon as possible.)
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. (CET or CEST) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that your application is complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Your personal data is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.
Information and advisory centres
More detailed information
- DAAD website section “Doing a PhD and Research in Germany"
- Website ”Research in Germany”
- Website ”GERiT – German Research Institutions"
- DAAD website ”Important information for DAAD scholarship applicants”
General information on the application via DAAD portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking "Application portal" at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application documents for scholarship (contains no commercial goods, no merchandise or insurable value)”.
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET or CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.